Users will go to YouTube Music after Google Podcasts closes in 2024
Today, Google revealed that it will close its Google Podcasts app in 2024 as part of a bigger effort to divert streaming listeners to YouTube Music. The company said that YouTube Music would offer podcasts worldwide before the end of the year. Recently, the business announced that podcasters may submit RSS feeds to YouTube.
Google said today that it will spend more in YouTube Music’s podcast experience to make it a Podcast listener hub by improving discovery, community, and seamless transitions between audio and video podcasts. Spotify added video podcast support for producers worldwide, along with Q&As and polls, last year to address the latter.
If YouTube Music replaces Google Podcasts as the podcast destination, customers must switch. Companies argue their strategy reflects consumer listening habits. Edison found that 23% of weekly U.S. podcast listeners utilize YouTube and 4% use Google Podcasts.
The company announced last month that it will provide Google Podcast clients a migration tool and the ability to add podcast RSS feeds to YouTube Music, including non-YouTube shows. While being created, these migration tools are unavailable to the public.
Google Podcasts users can download an OPML file of their show subscriptions if they don’t want to move to YouTube Music.
“We know this transition will take time, but these efforts will allow us to build an amazing product and a single destination that rewards creators and artists and provides fans with the best Podcasts experience,” a YouTube blog post explained. “For now, nothing is changing and fans will continue to have access to YouTube, YouTube Music, and Google Podcasts. We’re committed to being transparent in communicating future changes with our users and podcasters and will have more to share about this process in the coming months,” it said.
In an effort to make YouTube Music a stronger competitor to services like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and others, Google has been gradually transitioning consumers away from earlier offerings. YouTube Music had a similar migration plan in 2020, as Google Play Music was set to go down that same year. Podcasts, on the other hand, have a more complicated product because many listeners simply use YouTube instead of the specialized Google Podcasts app. Meanwhile, podcast support has only lately arrived on YouTube Music.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to “Google Podcasts’ Close in 2024”;
1. Why is Google Podcasts closing in 2024?
- Google has decided to consolidate its audio offerings and transition podcast listeners to YouTube Music to provide a more integrated and streamlined experience for users.
2. When will Google Podcasts officially close?
- Google Podcasts is scheduled to close in 2024, although an exact date has not been specified. Users will be notified in advance of the closure.
3. What will happen to my existing podcast subscriptions on Google Podcasts?
- Your existing podcast subscriptions and data will be migrated to YouTube Music, ensuring a seamless transition. You won’t lose your subscribed podcasts.
4. Do I need a YouTube Music subscription to access podcasts?
- Some features may require a YouTube Music Premium subscription, but basic podcast access and functionality will likely remain free.
5. Will I be able to import my podcast subscriptions to other podcast apps?
- Google is expected to provide options for users to export their podcast subscriptions and data to other podcast apps.
6. What features will be available for podcast listeners on YouTube Music?
- YouTube Music is likely to offer a range of features for podcast listeners, including personalized recommendations, the ability to create playlists, and offline listening for podcasts.
7. Will my podcast listening history be retained when I move to YouTube Music?
- Google is expected to migrate your podcast listening history to YouTube Music to maintain continuity.
8. Can I continue listening to podcasts on Google Podcasts after the closure date?
- Google Podcasts will eventually stop working after the specified closure date, so it’s advisable to transition to YouTube Music or another podcast app in advance.
9. How can I stay updated on the closure and migration process of Google Podcasts?
- Google is likely to provide notifications and guidance to users through the Google Podcasts app and their official communication channels. Be sure to stay informed through official announcements.
10. Will podcast creators need to take any action for their podcasts to be available on YouTube Music?
- Google is expected to provide instructions for podcast creators to ensure their content is available on YouTube Music, but specific details will be communicated closer to the closure date.