In India, Google has introduced Earthquake Alerts for Android Users
The Google Earthquake Alert system is now available in India for Android handsets. Accelerometers and other smartphone sensors are used as miniature seismometers in the system.
On Wednesday, the business said that Android users in a high-risk area will be able to receive early earthquake alerts thanks to a system created in collaboration with the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the National Seismology Center (NSC). All Android-supported Indian languages will have access to these notifications.
There are two distinct notifications that the company issues:
Be Aware and Take Action.
In the event of an earthquake of magnitude 4.5 or higher, customers who have activated MMI 3 and 4 shaking will receive “Be Aware” warnings. If your phone is set to silence or the Do Not Disturb mode, the alert will still appear on the screen but will not make any noise.
Users who report MMI 5+ trembling during a 4.5 magnitude earthquake will receive alerts, according to Google. In this situation, the alarm will play loudly regardless of whatever Do Not Disturb settings you may have in place.
Users are advised to take protective measures, such as hiding under a table, while the signal sounds.
Android Quake Alerts were first made available by Google in 2020 in the state of California. Users will need to be connected to the internet through Wi-Fi or cellular data on an Android 5 or later device. Users also need to have their device’s location settings activated in order to receive earthquake alerts.
To activate earthquake notifications, go to Settings > Safety & emergency > Earthquake alerts. Settings > Location > Advanced > Earthquake warnings is another option for activating quake notifications.
Google already sends out flood warnings throughout all of India using AI technology. In 2018, the business started a test program to send out flood warnings in Patna, the capital of the Indian state of Bihar. A few years later, in 2020, it began providing flood warnings across the entire country of India.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to “Google Launching Android Earthquake Notifications In India”;
1. What are Android Earthquake Notifications by Google?
- Android Earthquake Notifications are alerts sent by Google to Android devices in regions prone to earthquakes. They provide users with real-time information about seismic activity.
2. Why has Google launched Earthquake Notifications in India?
- Google has introduced this feature in India to help users receive timely warnings and information about earthquakes, which can be crucial for safety and preparedness.
3. How do Android Earthquake Notifications work?
- Google uses data from various sources to detect earthquakes. When an earthquake is detected, it sends alerts to Android devices in affected areas, providing details such as location, magnitude, and safety recommendations.
4. Is there a special app required to receive these notifications?
- No, you don’t need a separate app. Earthquake Notifications are integrated into the Android operating system, and you’ll receive them as part of your device’s notification system.
5. Can I customize the notifications or choose to opt out?
- Yes, you can customize the notifications in your device settings, including turning them on or off and selecting the types of earthquakes for which you want to receive alerts.
6. Are these notifications accurate and reliable?
- Google uses a combination of data sources and algorithms to detect earthquakes, and they aim to provide accurate and timely information. However, users should always follow local authorities’ guidance for safety during an earthquake.
7. Do I need an internet connection to receive these notifications?
- You may receive Earthquake Notifications with or without an internet connection. Google utilizes various methods to ensure timely alerts, even in areas with limited connectivity.
8. Are Android Earthquake Notifications available only in India?
- No, Android Earthquake Notifications are available in multiple earthquake-prone regions around the world, and Google continues to expand the coverage.
9. How can I ensure that I receive these notifications on my Android device?
- To receive Android Earthquake Notifications, ensure that your device is updated to the latest version of Android, and check your notification settings to enable earthquake alerts.
10. Can I get notifications for earthquakes in other countries while I’m in India?
- Android Earthquake Notifications are designed to provide alerts for earthquakes in the region where your device is located. If you want to receive alerts for earthquakes in other countries, you may need to adjust your device’s settings accordingly.
Please note that the availability and functionality of Android Earthquake Notifications may change over time, so it’s a good idea to stay updated with the latest information from Google and local authorities for earthquake preparedness and safety.