Meta Promises Separate Threads Account Cancellation by December
Meta‘s text-based social network Threads was criticized in July because users couldn’t terminate their account without deleting Instagram. The company is now preparing to roll out a separate account deletion for Threads by December.
Michel Protti, Meta’s chief privacy officer for product, announced this week at TechCrunch Disrupt that Meta will launch Threads account deletion by December.
Because Threads is tied to Instagram, Protti said the company initially considered how to handle removal requests. He stated separating the accounts at launch was tricky technically. As a result, the corporation released account cancellation and privacy choices.
“Technically, it was extremely challenging to allow deletion of a separate Threads account without also deleting your overall Instagram account out of the gate. So we paid particular attention to ensuring the user could still exercise their deletion rights, by deactivating the account to sort of hide all content, setting it to private or deleting individual threads,” Protti said.
He further stated that, while Meta is working on integrating Threads with the fediverse, the business is also investigating scenarios such as what happens when a Threads post is transferred to another server and later removed by the author.
Threads swiftly topped 100 million sign-ups after its July launch. However, the platform’s popularity has declined in recent months. While the company has introduced much-desired features like as a following feed, a web app, and full-text search, the degree of participation has fallen short of Meta’s expectations. Adam Mosseri, the app’s CEO, stated in a recent AMA on Instagram Stories that the business has to roll out better suggestions for accounts, make communicating easier, and provide an edit button for postings.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to “Meta’s Separate Accounts Deletion on Threads by December”;
1. What is the Threads app?
- This is a text-based platform designed by Instagram that allow users to create a series of text posts.
2. What is Meta Threads?
- Meta Threads app was launched on July 6, led by Mark Zuckerberg. This new text-based application from Instagram is dubbed a rival to Elon Musk’s Twitter X by users.
3. Can we deactivate Threads account?
4. Can I delete my Threads account permanently?
- Yes, Threads accounts can be permanently deleted. Because Threads is closely linked to Instagram, you’ll need to permanently remove Instagram to delete your Threads profile.