How to Share Games on Steam
Sharing games on Steam can be done through the Steam Family Library Sharing feature. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to share games on Steam:
1. Enable Steam Guard:
- Steam Guard is a security feature that needs to be enabled on both the account sharing the game and the account receiving access to the shared games.
- To enable Steam Guard, go to Steam > Settings > Account > Manage Steam Guard Account Security.
2. Authorize Shared Computers:
- On the computer that owns the games, go to Steam > Settings > Family > Authorize Library Sharing on this computer.
- Authorize the computer by entering the Steam Guard code.
3. Enable Family Library Sharing:
- On the computer that owns the games, go to Steam > Settings > Family.
- Check the box that says “Authorize Library Sharing on this computer.”
4. Log in to the Shared Computer:
- On the computer where you want to play the shared games, log in with the account that owns the games.
- This account should also have Steam Guard enabled.
5. Access Shared Games:
- Once logged in, open the Steam Library.
- You should see the games owned by the sharing account listed in the library.
6. Play Shared Games:
- Click on the game you want to play and start playing.
- You can play any game that is not currently being played by the account that owns the games.
Keep in mind the following limitations:
- Only one person can play a shared game at a time.
- Some games may not be eligible for sharing due to licensing restrictions.
- DLC (Downloadable Content) may not be shared, and the borrower may need to purchase DLC separately.
By following these steps, you can successfully share games on Steam with other accounts that are part of your Family Library Sharing group.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to sharing Games on Steam:
Q: What is Steam Family Library Sharing?
A: Steam Family Library Sharing is a feature on Steam that allows you to share your game library with family members or friends. It enables others to play games from your library on their own computers.
Q: How do I enable Steam Guard for Family Library Sharing?
A: To enable Steam Guard, go to Steam > Settings > Account > Manage Steam Guard Account Security. Activate Steam Guard on both the account sharing the games and the account receiving access.
Q: Can I share my entire game library with others on Steam?
A: You can share most games in your library through Family Library Sharing. However, some games may not be eligible due to licensing restrictions imposed by game developers and publishers.
Q: How many people can I share my Steam library with?
A: Steam Family Library Sharing allows you to share your games with up to five other Steam accounts. Each shared account can access the shared games on one computer at a time.
Q: Can I play shared games simultaneously with the account owner?
A: No, simultaneous play of shared games is not allowed. Only one person can access a shared game from a library at a time.
Q: Do I need to reauthorize shared computers regularly?
A: Steam Guard codes may need to be entered periodically for security reasons. You may need to reauthorize shared computers if you haven’t logged in for a while or if there are security-related changes.
Q: Can DLC (Downloadable Content) be shared through Family Library Sharing?
A: DLC may not be shareable, and users accessing shared games might need to purchase DLC separately if they want to use additional content associated with a particular game.
Q: How do I access shared games on my computer?
A: Log in to the Steam account that owns the shared games, and open the Steam Library. You will see the shared games in the library, and you can play them on your computer.